Why Choose Dental Implants Over Dentures?
When a person loses a tooth or several teeth, options are available to fill up the space. Dental implants and dentures are two such options. Both can replace missing teeth, but in different ways. Often, dental implants are preferred over dentures. You may question why. This article will explain the reasons behind this preference. It will discuss the comfort, natural feel, and health benefits of dental implants and the expanding region of holistic dentistry. Let’s start our journey into understanding these dental procedures better.
A Comfortable And Natural Experience
Our teeth play a crucial role in daily activities like eating and speaking. To perform those activities effortlessly, our artificial teeth need to feel as natural as possible. The most significant advantage of dental implants is that they feel like our own teeth. Dental implants are teeth installed directly in your jawbone. Here is how the dental implants provide comfort and a natural experience:
- Durability: Dental implants, when properly cared for, can serve you your whole life. The materials used to make these implants are strong and withstand normal tooth usage. In contrast, dentures wear down over time and need to be replaced.
- Natural look: Dental implants look similar to natural teeth. They blend in with the rest of your teeth, making it difficult for others to detect them. Also, they function as normal teeth, allowing you to enjoy your favorite foods without discomfort.
- Minimal maintenance: Caring for dental implants is as straightforward as taking care of natural teeth. You can brush, floss, use mouthwash, and have regular check-ups just like with your other teeth. In contrast, dentures require removal and a special cleaning process daily.
Health Benefits Of Dental Implants
Besides comfort and a natural look, dental implants support good oral health. When a tooth is lost, health problems may occur. Implants can prevent these issues. Here are some benefits dental implants offer for oral health:
- Bone health: If a tooth is missing and not replaced, the jawbone may slowly deteriorate because it’s not holding a tooth anymore. Dental implants act as substitute tooth roots for natural teeth, stimulating the jawbone and preventing bone loss.
- Oral health: Because implants act like natural teeth, they improve oral hygiene. You can brush and floss around an implant just like a normal tooth. This is unlike dentures that may hide food debris, leading to gum disease and possible tooth loss.
- Prevention of facial sagging: One consequence of missing teeth is facial sagging. If the missing teeth are not replaced, the face can lose its natural shape. Dental implants support the facial structure and can prevent this from happening.
Holistic And Biological Dentistry
Holistic dentistry, or integrative dentistry, is based on the understanding that the body is interconnected. A Houston Biological Dentist is a specialist who follows this practice. Here, dental health is seen in connection with the body’s overall health. Keep reading more about this:
- Body-Mouth Connection: A biological dentist believes in the importance of the body-mouth connection. They think about dental health as part of your total health and well-being. Instead of just treating the symptoms, they look for the root cause of your dental problems.
- Safe materials: Biological dentistry only uses materials that are safe for the entire body. That means no mercury or other toxic materials. This is to ensure the treatments are in harmony with the rest of your body.
- Diet and lifestyle: Dentists practicing biological dentistry also consider diet and lifestyle factors. They provide guidance on diet, exercise, and other lifestyle habits for holistic dental health.
Exploring Ceramic Dental Implants
Technology in dentistry has delivered some exciting developments. Ceramic dental implants are one. These implants mimic the natural tooth color, providing a more natural look. Since the materials used in these implants integrate well with bone and gums, patients can now explore ceramic dental solutions.
- Natural look: Ceramic dental implants offer a more natural look compared to other implant materials. They are white like natural teeth and blend in with the rest of your teeth perfectly.
- Biocompatible: The materials used in ceramic implants are compatible with the body. They integrate well with the existing bone and gum tissues. This compatibility improves the success rate of the implants.
- Healthy recovery: Owing to their biocompatible nature, ceramic dental implants facilitate healthier and faster bone healing. This can enhance your comfort and improve the long-term success of your implant.
Addressing Sleep Apnea
Dental procedures and technologies are not confined to fixing teeth. They also provide solutions to sleep disorders such as sleep apnea. An experienced sleep dentist can help you treat sleep apnea with non-invasive dental treatments.
- Oral appliances: Dental appliances like a Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD), which fit inside your mouth like a sports mouth guard or an orthodontic retainer, can be used to treat sleep apnea. These appliances are designed to position the lower jaw forward to prevent the airway from collapsing and improve breathing during sleep.
- Cranial structure adjustments: Advanced Light Force (ALF) therapy involves subtle changes to the cranial structuring to help remediate sleep discomfort, often offering a solution to obstructive sleep apnea.
- Focus on nasal passage health: By focusing on overall dental and oral health, these treatments can indirectly enhance the health of your nasal passages. These improvements can alleviate sleep disturbances like snoring and sleep apnea caused by restricted nasal breathing.
In summary, dental implants stand as the favored option in comparison to dentures due to their better comfort, natural feel, and overall dental health support. New dental technologies such as ceramic dental implants give an extra edge as they blend in flawlessly with natural teeth and offer holistic solutions to replace missing teeth. Whether you are on the path to choosing a dental health option or looking for sleep apnea solutions, consider dental implants as your choice. They are likely to grant you long-term satisfaction and oral health.